If you’ve ever wondered how you could get rid of dark circles under your eyes at home, this DIY eye cream for dark circles is for you. Packed full of nourishing ingredients, this homemade under eye cream is effective yet gentle.
I’m guilty of “burning the candle at both ends,” meaning I stay up way too late and get up very early. I’m working on getting more sleep, but as of now, my lack of adequate rest is showing up on—or should I say under—my eyes. So, I decided to make a homemade eye cream for puffiness and dark circles in an attempt to mask my poor sleep habits.
First, I had to determine what was the best natural eye cream, or at least the best ingredients to use in creating a homemade dark circle eye cream.
What Ingredients Should Be in a Good Eye Cream?
A good eye cream should have gentle yet effective ingredients—and a homemade under eye cream is no exception. Some nourishing ingredients include star anise, coconut oil, vitamin E, lemon essential oil, and rosemary essential oil. Within this group of oils are those that are anti-inflammatory and anti-aging—exactly what I was looking for.
So after mixing and testing, I came up with this DIY eye cream recipe. And if you’ve been wondering does eye cream help dark circles, give this recipe a try…you just might find it as amazing as I do.
DIY Eye Cream for Dark Circles
DIY Eye Cream for Dark Circles and Wrinkles (Just 5 Ingredients)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil pure, unrefined
- 1 handful star anise pods
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil
- 3 - 4 drops lemon essential oil
- 3 - 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- Add the coconut oil and star anise to a mason jar and cover with lid. Place the jar in a pot and fill the pot with hot water until it reaches halfway up the mason jar.
- Turn the stove on low so that it maintains the temperature of the hot water already in the pot. Allow the jar to stay in the hot water for 4 to 6 hours. Stir the contents in the jar every so often to help the contents combine. Be careful not to allow any water to get inside the jar as water will provide a breading ground for bacteria.
- Remove jar from the stove and let it cool slightly. Strain the coconut oil into a clean, airtight container, removing the star anise pods.
- Add the essential oils and mix to combine. Store in container at room temperature.
Related DIY Tutorials
How To Use DIY Eye Cream for Dark Circles
The best time to apply this homemade eye cream is at night before bed. Using your ring finger, take a pea-sized amount and gently apply cream around the eyes.
Massage cream around the eye area in a circular motion to encourage blood flow to the cells. This will help improve circulation and promote a reduction in the dark appearance of the veins beneath the skin. Leave cream on overnight.
Benefits of Homemade Under Eye Cream
Coconut oil is a powerful, yet gentle, natural anti-inflammatory, making it a great ingredient for lightening dark under-eye circles.
Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant which helps slow down the skin’s aging process. It’s also known to help reduce wrinkles and fine lines, keeping the under-eye area looking fresh and youthful.
Lemon essential oil contains vitamin C which is known to help strengthen the immune system and the skin cells around the eyes. Lemon essential oil also has natural bleaching properties which may promote the lightening of the under-eye area (goodbye dark circles!).
Rosemary essential oil is a known anti-inflammatory that reduces the restriction of the capillaries around your eyes.
Additional Star Anise Recipes
Tired of dry, sagging, dull skin? Do more to restore a youthful appearance and uncover supple, hydrated skin.
Using star anise will help in reducing fine lines and wrinkles, restoring brightness, and improving texture.
Why not incorporate it in more of your skin care routine?
This Star Anise Skin Care Routine printable will give you additional recipes containing star anise for a complete skincare routine. These skin-transforming recipes include:
- an exfoliating facial cleanser to properly exfoliate for maximum moisture,
- a hydrating facial moisturizer that restores moisture while tightening the skin,
- an anti-aging facial serum that’s light and effective,
- a wrinkle-fighting toner that combines rosewater and star anise, and a skin-tightening toner made with star anise and rice water,
- a moisturizing face mask that promotes hydrated, dewy, glowing skin every day,
- an anti-aging sheet mask that tightens and smooths the skin, and
- an under-eye cream for dark circles and wrinkles.
Click below to grab your copy of this guide and give your skin exactly what it needs for a smoother, brighter, more even complexion: