Growing up, I absolutely loved pancakes. It was a Sunday tradition in my household and one I carried on into my own family.
But as I made the switch to eat a more wholesome, plant-based diet, I struggled at first with finding alternatives for some of the dishes I once loved. Yes, you can easily make a vegan pancake by replacing the milk with soy or nut milk. And most recipes call for oil or margarine with baking powder to replace the eggs.
But I needed a recipe for oil-free vegan pancakes.
You see, I was also avoiding oils as much as possible (I explain why in this post: Asian-Inspired No Oil Vegetable Stir-Fry). Another suggested substitute was applesauce, but it altered the taste a little too much for me. So I experimented for a year or so before coming up with this winning recipe.
Benefits of oil-free vegan pancakes
Not only are these oil-free pancakes delicious, they also feed your face with healthy ingredients that plump the skin (think: smooth out wrinkles).
The cinnamon in these pancakes is loaded with anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. This aids in healing the skin from the inside out. And using as little as ½ teaspoon of cinnamon daily can positively affect blood sugar levels, digestion, and immunity.
The elimination of oil in this recipe means you can avoid clogging your pores, reducing the possibility of an acne breakout.
The recipe is also sugar-free which is another benefit for your skin. Sugar causes a surge of inflammation in the body because it spikes insulin levels. And inflammation is definitely something we want to avoid because it produces enzymes that break down collagen and elastin. This results in drooping, sagging skin and wrinkles.
And to top it all off, I used aluminum-free baking powder. While this topic is pretty controversial as to whether or not aluminum poses health risks, I tend to err on the side of caution.
So, if you’re ready to enjoy some delicious oil-free vegan pancakes that not only satisfies your mouth but also feeds your face, then let’s get cooking.
Fluffy Oil-Free Vegan Pancakes
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (regular whole wheat flour works well too)
- 1 tbsp @Rumford baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp stevia
- 1/2 tsp @Kroger brand cinnamon
- 1 cup water (can use unsweetened nut or soy milk as well)
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, stevia, and cinnamon together.
- Slowly add in the water, stirring the ingredients just enough to combine.
- To get the pancakes to be fluffy, let the batter sit for 4 to 5 minutes. Heat a non-stick griddle or pan on medium heat during this time.
- Measure out 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the batter into the well-heated pan. When bubbles appear in the middle, flip over to cook a few more minutes.
- Serve with fruit, pure maple syrup, honey or agave nectar (or my personal favorite: blackstrap molasses).