General Tso's Orange Tofu Chicken Salad
- 1 block tofu extra firm
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp General Tso's Sauce divided
- 2 tbsp Orange Sauce divided
- 2 tsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups shredded or chopped lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- We'll start by preparing the marinade for the tofu. You'll need 2 cups of vegetable broth. I used one Knorr Vegetarian Vegetable Bullion extra large cube and dissolved it in 2 cups of hot water. You can also use any vegetable broth of your choice.
- Take the tofu out of the package and drain any excess water using a paper towel or clean dish cloth. Break (not cut!) the tofu into bite-sized pieces. This is what gives it the look like chicken and also helps it to have more of a chicken-like texture--so don't skip this part!
- Place the broken tofu pieces into a bowl and pour the vegetable broth over the tofu so that all pieces are covered in broth. Let this sit for at least 20 - 30 minutes to soak up the flavor. The longer you soak it, the more flavorful it will be.
- While tofu is soaking, you can cut up your lettuce and mix with the shredded carrot sticks in a separate bowl. In another small bowl, mix 2 tbsp of General Tso's sauce, 1 tbsp of Orange sauce and the liquid aminos. Stir well. This will serve as the dressing over the salad.
- After soaking, drain the tofu and place it in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. I sprayed the skillet lightly with olive oil nonstick cooking spray for added precaution. You can skip the spray if you want to avoid any oils and you're using a good non-stick skillet.
- Cook the tofu slowly and stir it frequently to allow it to brown on all sides. This will take about 20 - 25 minutes until it's a nice golden brown and will look like cooked chicken pieces. Don't rush it by turning the heat up too high. It's the slow cooking on medium heat that helps it to brown evenly and have a chicken-like texture.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in 2 tbsp of the General Tso's sauce and 1 tbsp of the Orange sauce. Stir well so that all tofu pieces are coated with the sauce.
- Assemble the salad in each bowl, placing the lettuce/carrot mixture in first, adding 1/4 of the tofu chicken mixture on top, and then topping it off with some of the dressing mixture. Repeat for all 4 bowls then serve.