I’m on a mission–a serious mission– to get rid of acne scars and minimize the large pores on my face.
My son made me do it.
Well, let me explain. It all started one evening…
“Mommy, I want to draw a picture of you,” my eight-year-old son announced. How sweet, I thought, as I agreed to pose for the portrait.
And he began to draw, pausing periodically to gaze at my face in between pencil strokes. I couldn’t wait to see the final results.
“Almost done,” he said. Then he began to beat down on the picture with his pencil, making dots all over it.
“Don’t mess it up,” I cried, wondering if he had just given up on the portrait and was turning it into something else.
“I’m not,” he replied calmly, “It’s part of your picture.”
“But I’m not wearing polka dots,” I protested.
“I’m not drawing polka dots,” he replied. “I’m drawing all those dots on your face,” he added as he held up the finished portrait which, indeed, had dots all on my cheeks.
“What’s that?” I questioned, “I don’t have freckles.”
“I know. It’s not freckles,” he replied, “It’s those holes and marks you have on your face.”
Wow. Punch in the gut.
He was talking about my large pores and acne marks that I thought only I noticed when I examined my face, up close, in the mirror under bright lights. But apparently, they’re more noticeable than I thought.
Then (as if this humiliation wasn’t enough already) my daughter chimed in to describe the dots in more detail and then point them out on my face. She even gave him an A+++ for his drawing.
Now, my kids were not trying to mean. In fact, they over apologized when they saw the horrified look on my face. My son really was just trying to capture an exact replica of me and was feeling quite proud that he had nailed it.
But now the truth was out. The flaws on my face were not as invisible as I had imagined them to be.
Now it was time to face the facts: my skin needed some attention…badly.
I had been neglecting my self-care and it was showing up as “dots” on my face.
So I dove into research mode to find the best natural solutions to my problem. I scoured the internet and beauty books to find a natural cure for acne marks and large pores. And I found some natural remedies that fit my lifestyle and my budget.
What I found were some amazing (and quite simple) natural remedies that fit my lifestyle and my budget. And, if you read on, I’ll share those precious nuggets with you.
Best ingredients to get rid of acne scars
In my research, I learned there were several ingredients that are effective in erasing acne scars. And there was a handful of ingredients most often referred to because of their amazing abilities to transform problem skin:
- Apple cider vinegar – the astringent properties of apple cider vinegar (ACV) make it perfect for drying out excess oil (helping to prevent further breakouts). It also contains lactic and malic acids which exfoliate dead skin cells from the face. This process regenerates the skin’s tissue, promoting the growth of healthy new skin (and gets rid of those dark marks left from acne).
- Baking soda – baking soda is a great exfoliator that removes dead skin cells, dirt and oil trapped in the pores. It deep-cleans the pores, helping to prevent further blemishes and scars. Used as a scrub, baking soda gently peels off the outer layer of skin revealing a younger layer of new skin cells.
- White potatoes – potato juice has the ability to absorb excess oil in the skin. It also removes dead skin cells and dirt from the skin. When applied regularly, potatoes reduce blemishes and acne scars.
- Lemons – lemon juice has natural bleaching properties which help to lighten dark spots and marks on the face. Applied consistently, lemons can reduce the appearance of acne scars over time.
- Honey – honey is a natural antibiotic and has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to heal damaged skin cells, and the antioxidants it contains repair damaged skin. Honey also contains a number of vitamins and minerals the skin needs to heal and remain blemish-free.
Shrink pores with these ingredients
- Aloe vera gel – aloe vera contains enzymes which eliminate impurities from the skin and seal the pores. It acts as an astringent to tighten pores while moisturizing and soothing the skin. The best source of aloe vera gel is fresh from the plant leaf. However, a high quality bottled gel from a health food store is also effective.
- Clay mask – clay powder is wonderful for absorbing excess oil and unclogging pores. The natural substance contained in clay absorbs impurities and helps to tighten the skin. While there are several types of clay, some of the more effective ones are Fuller’s Earth, bentonite clay, green clay, or white clay (kaolin).
- Egg whites – known to tighten the skin and draw out excess oil, egg whites are effective in shrinking large pores. Used along with lemon juice, egg whites improve the skin’s condition.
Weekly skincare routine
Sundays – Mask + ACV toner
Mondays & Wednesdays – Baking soda scrub + ACV toner
Tuesdays & Thursdays – Aloe Vera + ACV toner
Saturdays – White potato + ACV toner
Natural recipes for clear, smooth skin
Keeping the skin clean is the key to reducing breakouts and healing damaged skin.
Baking Soda Scrub
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ACV
Mix together to form a paste. Apply to damp face with hands and in circular motion massage it into your face. Let the scrub sit for 10 minutes then rinse.
2 tbsp clay powder
1 – 2 tbsp water or rosewater (enough to make a smooth mask)
Mix clay powder and water to make a smooth paste. Apply to skin with hands or facial brush. Let it sit on face for 20 minutes and then rinse with cool water. Use twice a week.
Pore Reducing Mask
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp aloe vera gel
1 tbsp milk
Mix well until have a smooth consistency. Apply to clean skin with a facial brush or fingers. Let the mask sit on the skin for 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Use 3 – 4 times per week.
Egg White Mask
2 egg whites
Mix egg whites and juice from 1/2 a lemon. Apply the mixture to your face and leave it on until it dries. Rinse with cool water. Use 2 – 3 times per week.
2 tbsp ACV
2 tbsp water
Mix together and then apply to face with cotton pad.
Aloe Vera Gel
2 in. piece of aloe vera plant
Cut leaf in half through the gel and rub gel on face. Let the gel sit on face for 15 minutes then rinse with cool water. Follow with a moisturizer.
Cut a slice of a white potato (russet works well), prick it with a fork to release the juice. Rub the slice over your face a few times until coated with potato juice. Let it sit for 20 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
How to get rid of acne scars for good
Do you want the truth about getting clear, smooth skin from here on out? It takes consistency and effort.
But now you’re armed with a complete guide–facts, recipes and a weekly planner. You have the tools you need to succeed.
It worked for me and it can work for you too.