I love creating new skin care products using ingredients I know are good for my face–and body. But where to store skin care products was a bit of concern.
What I didn’t like was having to trot all the way to the kitchen every morning and evening to retrieve my skin care products in order to complete my DIY K-Beauty routine.
Okay, so it’s not a mile walk or anything, but I’m groggy in the mornings and not all that interested in doing more walking than necessary. And by the time the evening comes, I’ve already done so much movement–including working out–that the thought of going all the way to the kitchen again almost makes me want to cry.
I might be exaggerating a bit–okay, a lot–but you get the point. At first it’s not bad, but after months of going back and forth, one should start to look for more efficiencies, right?
So I did.
We had just returned home from a week-long church family camp-out where we stayed in empty college dorm rooms. We had to use a mini-fridge to store our food for the week. And as we were unloading the little fridge, an idea came to mind: I could just move that mini-fridge right into my room and keep my skin care there.
It was a brilliant idea, so I thought, but I soon grew to dislike that big, bland, rectangular, non-matching, energy-sucking appliance in my bedroom. Functional? Yes! Stylish? Not!
I was beginning to rethink my idea of convenience until I discovered skin care fridges.
Oh mama! It had everything I could want–convenience, style, compact size, and did I say style?
Some of you might be asking yourself right now, why doesn’t she just keep her skin care products on her bathroom counter? Well, I’ll give you three reasons why I don’t.
Should you refrigerate beauty products?
When deciding where to store skin care products, here are three things to consider:
- Do you remember what happens in the bathroom? You know, those “numbers” we do? Well, that makes the bathroom a breeding ground for bacteria. Now add the steam from daily showers and you have an oasis for bacteria to frolic, multiply and grow.
- Homemade skin care doesn’t contain those heavy-duty preservatives that help products stay shelf-stable. Most need to be refrigerated (and discarded after a limited time) to keep bacteria from quickly growing.
- Even some non-DIY products need refrigeration. Heat from the bathroom can affect the look, smell, feel and effectiveness of all types of products. Direct sunlight and warm temperatures can cause some ingredients in products to begin to break down, oxidize or melt. Keeping your products in a cool, dry place–away from direct sunlight–can extend their shelf life.
What beauty products need to be refrigerated?
If keeping skin care products cool is all new info to you, you may be wondering what beauty products need to be refrigerated. While there are no hard and fast rules, here are some guidelines:
- DIY or skin care products – homemade skin care products or anything with 100% natural ingredients need to be refrigerated to extend the life of the product. Most still need to be used within 5 to 7 days even if refrigerated. A good guide is to note the expiration dates of the ingredients used and discard at the earliest of those dates.
- If you have irritated skin, keeping non-DIY face masks, creams and moisturizers refrigerated can be calming to the skin when applied.
- Retinoids and vitamin C are sensitive to both heat and light which means they will oxidize and break down much faster in these environments. Storing them in the fridge can help them last longer.
- Any products containing live-active cultures, such as probiotics, need to be refrigerated.
Where to store skin care
Under your bathroom sink or in a cabinet or drawer is safe for non-perishable skin care products. But your DIY homemade skin care products need to be refrigerated.
Let’s be clear: the kitchen refrigerator is perfectly fine for storing your natural skin care products. You do not need a mini refrigerator.
BUT, if you take joy in your skin care products and want to pamper yourself a little, a beauty fridge may be right up your alley.
So if you’re on board to find the ideal skin care fridge for your skin’s sake, here are my top 7 picks from Amazon:
#1 – Cooluli Mini Fridge Electric Cooler and Warmer
#2 – Uber Appliance Portable Mini Fridge
#3 – Frigidaire Retro Mini
#4 – Chefman Mini Portable Eraser Board Personal Fridge
#5 – Mini Fridge Electric Cooler & Warmer
#6 – Gormia Thermoelectric Mini Fridge Cooler and Warmer
#7 – Yosooo Mini Fridge
So, if these mini-fridges have inspired you to mix up some new homemade skin care products to properly store, then grab your copy of the Natural Skin Care Made Simple eBook.